CON Director, Student Services version January 2011
|Home||Administration & Organization||Position Descriptions|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Director of Student Services Position Description||Subsection: 3.2.14|
|Section 3.0 - Position Description||Originating Date: May, 1986|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
|J:/RESOURCE MANUAL/Table of Contents College of Nursing Resource Manual|
General Position Description:
The Director of Student Services provides leadership and management of all aspects of student services including admissions and enrollment, financial aid, data reporting, scholarships, student information systems, recruitment, retention, advisement, orientation, commencement, and multicultural support. S/he coordinates services across the CON divisions and co-supervises with campus deans the student services personnel at the CON’s other Divisions.
The Director of Student Services reports to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and serves as a liaison to the CON program directors, campus deans, and department chairs, as well as UNMC offices of student services and Graduate Studies.
- Develops and directs a comprehensive recruitment and admissions program that stays current with trends in the nursing workforce and enhances a diverse student population at all degree levels.
- Leads the planning efforts and manages the administration of academic support and student services, recruiting, admissions, financial aid, academic advising, and multicultural support activities.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures and enhances support of instructional activities working with program directors, division deans and department chairs to improve instructional efforts and student relations.
- Ensures the effectiveness of operations and recommends changes and policy/procedure revisions.
- Plans for the non-academic needs of students, counsels students as needed, and refers students to University student resources when necessary.
- Oversees the collection of relevant data and the administration of records and standards to track student data. Develops and generates student services reporting. Manages the data collection for the completion and submission of surveys related to student and academic programs.
- Seeks and facilitates grants to support student service activities, scholarships, and traineeship grants.
- Oversees and ensures a positive, high functioning, customer-focused team environment.
- Manages and administers the activities of the student services unit and builds strong relationships/connections to existing student services offices and Graduate Studies within UNMC and other units within the College.
- Manages the student services office and supervises student services unit personnel. Interviews and selects potential personnel; trains and develops programs for personnel; plans and directs employees work; cross-trains unit personnel; evaluates and improves productivity and efficiency; and develops and implements policies and procedures for office operations. Coordinates budget development and oversees financial activities.
- Ensures the inclusion of students in the activities of the profession at large, such as membership in the state chapter of the National Student Nurses Association.
- Facilitates the School’s student scholarship/traineeship award process and financial assistance program to include the adherence to CON and UNMC policies, the development of appropriate reports, and works collaboratively with the UNMC Office of Student Services.
- Supervises and evaluates Student Services personnel.
The Director of Student Services holds a minimum of a master’s degree with a doctorate preferred. Experience in education, student personnel work, and nursing is preferred.
Individuals with an advanced degree and experience in related fields such as human relations, business, or organizational psychology are encouraged to apply.
Demonstrated leadership qualities, including a participatory leadership style that fosters respect and collegiality; strong managerial skills; ability to be creative, to take appropriate risks, and make timely decisions; openness to the ideas of others and to constructive feedback.