CON Director of Continuing Nursing Education version January 2015
|Home||Administration & Organization||Position Descriptions|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Director of Continuing Nursing Education Position Description||Subsection: 3.2.10|
|Section 3.0 - Position Description||Originating Date: February, 1986|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
General Position Description:
The Director of Continuing Nursing Education is accountable for the administration of the College of Nursing’s Continuing Nursing Education Program and for the professional content of continuing nursing education curricula. The Director is responsible for all phases of continuing nursing education program development, including assessing needs, planning, implementing, and evaluating continuing nursing education activities. The Director maintains overall responsibility for the management of the human, material and fiscal resources associated with the College of Nursing Continuing Nursing Education Program and for generation of funds to cover operating expenses. The Director is responsible for the academic and fiscal records for all program offerings. S/he reports to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs. As a member of the faculty s/he participates in the tripartite faculty role of teaching, research and service.
- Serves as administrator/nurse planner of the College of Nursing Continuing Nursing Education Program/ Provider Unit with authority to administer the providership in accordance with all American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation criteria.
- Works with administrators, faculty, and other health professionals as appropriate to assess educational needs, plan, develop, implement and evaluate continuing nursing education activities according to ANCC Commission on Accreditation criteria.
- Explores new methods of providing continuing educational opportunities at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels for professional nurses and other health professionals.
- Collaborates with other departments, colleges, schools, institutes and professional groups to develop grant proposals and seek outside funding for continuing education programs, including those that are provided.
- As needed by the program and the ANCC, and with input from the College’s Executive Council, develops, implements, evaluates, and revises policies and goals for the College’s Continuing Nursing Education Program.
- Maintains overall responsibility for record keeping of program offerings, and for management of data necessary to maintain accreditation status.
- Collaborates with faculty and administrative personnel within the University of Nebraska Medical Center as well as health professionals at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels to develop continuing education programs which best suit the needs of the professional nurses and other health professionals.
- Maintains a close working relationship with multiple groups and resources including officers and representatives from professional nursing organizations, national education societies and organizations to assist in the determination of educational needs and to facilitate professional support for the Continuing Nursing Education Program.
- Completes and files a College of Nursing annual report and all materials required for continuation of accreditation status.
The Director must possess a minimum of a master’s degree in nursing. A doctoral degree is preferred. The Director must: 1) have a general understanding of higher education and the role of continuing education within institutions of higher learning; 2) possess current knowledge and competency in nursing professional development practice; 3) work effectively with all members of the health care team and colleagues in higher education; 4) have familiarity with the health care delivery system, education of health professionals and current issues in those fields; and 5) be knowledgeable of adult learning theory, instructional and communications technology, and evaluation methods.
In addition, the Director must have broad professional experience with demonstrated skill in administration and teaching. The Director must be registered to practice nursing in Nebraska and demonstrate professional leadership activity. Terms of employment are in keeping with current University of Nebraska policy.