Use of Personnel/Students and Facilities for Research version November 2012
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Home||Facilities and Resources|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Use of Personnel/Students and Facilities for Research||Subsection: 6.2.4|
|Section 6.0 - Policy||Originating Date: August, 1991|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Nursing Research Committee
- Requests to conduct research using personnel, students, or facilities of the College of Nursing require administrative approval, routed through the Associate Dean for Research. The purposes of administrative approval are the following:
- Provide information about the research;
- Ensure that a study meets Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements if needed;
- Ascertain if particular groups of students or personnel are asked to participate in surveys or other research too frequently;
- Ascertain that class time is not used for completing surveys or questionnaires that are unrelated to course objectives;
- Ascertain that requests do not put personnel or the college at-risk for liability.
- Individual personnel and student participation is dependent upon their personal choice.
- Individual personnel and student names are not released by the College of Nursing.
- Requests coming from outside the College should be routed first to the Associate Dean for Research. The Associate Dean for Research may determine that the request is inappropriate and refuse it without further review, or may direct the request through the communication lines, asking for a recommendation from the Department Chairperson or Associate or Assistant Dean responsible for the group to be involved in the research study. The request should include evidence of IRB approval from the principal investigator’s academic institution and a short abstract indicating the research question(s), methods, subjects to be used, and the amount of time/resources involved.
- The procedure for approval of internal requests from faculty or students wishing to use College of Nursing students, personnel, or facilities for research is to submit a brief proposal to the appropriate Department Chairperson, Associate or Assistant Dean with copies to the Associate Dean for Research. The proposal should include a short abstract indicating the research question(s), methods, subjects to be used, and the amount of time/resources involved. IRB approval is required if results will be published or presented.
- The final decision on both internal and external requests rests with the Associate Dean for Research.