CON PhD Affairs Council Rules of the Faculty Organization
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|PhD Affairs Council Rules of the Faculty Organization||Subsection: 4.1.9|
|Section 4.0 - Rules of the Faculty Organization||Originating Date: May, 2010|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
UNMC Graduate Studies
The purpose of the PhD Affairs Council is to foster high quality, doctoral education in nursing in accordance with the policies of the UNMC Graduate College.
- Plan and monitor courses and curricula and make recommendations for approval from the UNMC Graduate Council.
- Recommend applicants for admission to the doctoral program to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Recommend names of students for graduation to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Recommend approval of dissertation supervisory and examination committees to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Develop and coordinate regular ongoing formal evaluation of the curriculum and graduates and provide ongoing feedback for program improvement.
- Monitor students’ performance for progression and recommend candidacy.
- Establish criteria, policies and procedures to be used in awarding and reporting scholarships, traineeships, fellowships, and other awards to doctoral students.
- Notify College of Nursing Student Services office of honors/awards received by doctoral students.
- Notify Professional Graduate Nursing Program Curriculum Committee, Professional Graduate Nursing Program Admission, Progression, Graduation & Scholarship Committee and General Faculty Organization of any changes approved by UNMC Graduate College.
Membership consists of voting and ex-officio graduate faculty members who are recommended to the Dean of Graduate Studies for appointment.
- Five graduate faculty members shall be elected at-large by the Graduate Faculty, one of whom shall be an ‘emerging scholar’. The term ‘emerging scholar’ has been defined as having Graduate Faculty Status, within 5 years of receiving their PhD, with a record of publication/scholarship.
- Two members will be elected every year. Nominees must be eligible to direct dissertations (see Policy).
- The PhD Program Director is a permanent member and serves as Chair of the Council.
- The Dean of the College of Nursing, the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Associate Dean for Research, and the Director of the DNP Program are permanent, ex-officio members.
- One student representative is appointed by the PhD Affairs Council.
- One representative of the council will attend the Faculty Coordinating Committee meetings.
- All elected members may vote.
- The Director of the PhD Program is a non-voting member except in the case of a tie.
5. Term of Service:
2 year terms; 2 elected in alternating years.
- Graduate faculty members shall serve on the PhD Affairs Council for a term of two years.
- Each member may be re-elected for an additional two year term.
- Following these two terms, the member must allow one year to pass before serving any additional terms.
- The Director of the PhD Program will serve as chair.
- A staff assistant will facilitate the work of the committee as appropriate.
- Meet monthly during the academic year and as called by the Chairperson.
- Student member will be excused when confidential student items are discussed.
Name Change from Doctoral Affairs Council to PhD Affairs Council – September 1, 2011
Bylaws changed to Rules of the Faculty Organization – November, 2011
Membership changed to include DNP Program Director – September, 2012
Membership changed to include a fifth voting member, an ‘emerging scholar’, May 2013
Reviewing agency changed May 2013