CON Proposal of New Undergraduate Courses version November 2012
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Proposal of New Undergraduate Courses||Subsection: 4.3.2|
|Section 4.0 - Faculty Policies||Originating Date: November 1992|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
The purpose of this policy is to provide faculty and the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee consistent guidelines in course development.
- Nursing courses, including electives, must be consistent with the philosophy, organizing framework, and BSN outcomes of the Undergraduate Program.
- Nursing courses may be planned/offered for students in any semester; prerequisites must be specified.
- Credit hours may be distributed as didactic only, lab only, clinical only, or any combination of the above. Credit hour allocation for electives may range from 1-4 and may be distributed as didactic or didactic/clinical.
- The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee must approve all new courses.
- Courses must be approved by the Faculty Organization according to the following time line:
Course Implementation Approval Deadline Fall April Spring October Summer February
- Faculty members wishing to develop courses should consult first with their Department Chairperson/Assistant Dean regarding appropriateness and workload considerations. The following factors are considered in planning/offering nursing electives:
- student interest
- faculty interest, expertise, availability
- agency, preceptor availability
- classroom, laboratory availability
- minimum & maximum enrollments will be established based on factors a through e above.
- Faculty members will then meet with the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee to present ideas for course development. If needed, a member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will be appointed to assist the faculty in course development.
- Course proposals are to be prepared using the form provided in Appendix H.
- The course proposal should be submitted to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee for approval. A member of the course proposal group should be present at the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee meeting when the course is approved.
- After each new course has been taught, an evaluation must be submitted following the guidelines in Policy 5.1.8.