|Human Resources||Safety/Security||Research Compliance||Compliance||Privacy/Information Security||Business Operations||Intellectual Property||Faculty|
Compliance Program | Compliance Hotline | Investigations by Third Parties | Research Integrity | Export Control | Code of Conduct | Use of Human Anatomical Material | Clinical Research and Clinical Trial Professional and Technical Fee Billing | Contracts | Conflict of Interest | Red Flag Identity Theft Prevention Program | Principles of Financial Stewardship | Human Tissue Use and Transfer | Disclosing Foreign Support and International Activities | Health Care Vendor Interactions | Credit Hour Definition | Whistleblower
Policy No.: 8001
Effective Date: 08/16/06
Revised Date: 06/23/21
Reviewed Date: 06/23/21
Compliance Hotline Policy
The purpose of the UNMC Compliance Hotline (1-844-348-9584 or Nebraska EthicsPoint) is to provide an additional communication channel for employees and students to report any activity or conduct they suspect violates University of Nebraska or UNMC policies and procedures, and/or federal, state or local laws and regulations. Concerns received through the compliance hotline will be investigated and appropriate follow-up actions taken.
Employees and students who have compliance-related questions or concerns are encouraged to share them as soon as possible so appropriate action can be taken. Multiple communication channels are available for employees and students to ask questions and report concerns. While employees and students are encouraged to obtain guidance or share concerns with their supervisors first, they may use any of the following communication channels:
- Discuss the issue with supervisory personnel or a faculty advisor (students).
- Contact the department that has subject matter expertise in the area of concern.
- Contact the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org for human resources issues.
- Contact the Compliance Office at 402-559-6767.
- Call the UNMC Compliance Hotline at 1-844-348-9584 or visit Nebraska EthicsPoint.
- Call the Nebraska Ombudsman’s office at 1-800-742-7690.
For additional information, see the State Ombudsman's Office.
Compliance Hotline Calls
- The Compliance Hotline is operated by a third-party organization hired to collect and document information provided on the call. It operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Compliance Hotline phone number is 1-844-348-9584 or visit Nebraska EthicsPoint.
- A pre-recorded message will precede the operator answering the call to inform the caller that: (1) calls are not recorded and no attempt is made to identify caller number or location; (2) UNMC’s policy prohibits retribution or retaliation for providing information; and (3) the caller may remain anonymous if desired.
- The hotline operator will: greet the caller and thank the individual for calling; ask if the caller understood the message, answer any questions the caller may have; and reinforce that the caller does not need to identify themselves. The operator will ask questions based on the nature of each call to elicit the most complete information about each issue as possible, schedule any follow-up phone calls which may need to occur, notify the caller the status of actions taken may not be available to the caller, invite the individual to phone the hotline if the individual believes the problem has not been addressed or wishes to further discuss the situation, and thank the individual for calling.
- The hotline company will generate a report to the Compliance Officer.
Confidentiality/Good Faith Reports
UNMC shall attempt to maintain the confidentiality of an individual who reports concerns or misconduct upon request. However, confidentiality cannot be guaranteed, and disclosure of the individual's identity may be necessary in order to fully investigate the concern. There is no retribution or discipline for anyone who reports a concern in good faith. Individuals shall not use the hotline to intentionally make false allegations.
Compliance with Standards
All UNMC staff and students are expected to understand and follow regulations and policies applicable to their responsibilities. Staff and students are encouraged to report compliance concerns to maintain the integrity of UNMC’s education, research, patient care and outreach mission.