CON PhD Affairs Council Rules of the Faculty Organization
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|PhD Affairs Council Rules of the Faculty Organization||Subsection: 4.1.9|
|Section 4.0 - Faculty Policies||Originating Date: May 2010|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
PhD Affairs Council
The purpose of the PhD Affairs Council is to foster high quality, doctoral education in nursing in accordance with the policies of the UNMC Graduate College.
- Plan and monitor courses and curricula and make recommendations for approval from the UNMC Graduate Council.
- Recommend applicants for admission to the doctoral program to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Recommend names of students for graduation to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Recommend approval of dissertation supervisory and examination committees to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Develop and coordinate regular ongoing formal evaluation of the curriculum and graduates and provide ongoing feedback for program improvement.
- Monitor students’ performance for progression and recommend candidacy.
- Establish criteria, policies and procedures to be used in awarding and reporting scholarships, traineeships, fellowships, and other awards to doctoral students.
- Notify College of Nursing Student Services office of honors/awards received by doctoral students.
- Notify Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee and General Faculty Organization of any changes approved by UNMC Graduate College.
Membership consists of voting and ex-officio graduate faculty members who are recommended to the Dean of Graduate Studies for appointment.
- Five graduate faculty members shall be elected at-large by the Graduate Faculty, 3 whom will be associate or full professors and 2 of whom shall be assistant professors who have a record of publication/research scholarship.
- Two members (1 associate/full and 1 assistant) will be elected every even year and three members (2 associate/full and 1 assistant) will be elected in odd numbered years (2013, 2015, etc.) The PhD Program Director is a permanent member and serves as Chair of the Council.
- The Dean of the College of Nursing, the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Associate Dean for Research, the Associate Dean for Transformational Practice and Partnerships, the Director of the DNP Program and the Director of Evaluation are permanent, ex-officio members.
- One student representative is appointed by the PhD Affairs Council.
- One representative of the council will attend the Faculty Coordinating Committee meetings.
- All elected members may vote.
- The Director of the PhD Program is a non-voting member except in the case of a tie.
5. Term of Service:
2 year terms; 2 elected in alternating years.
- Graduate faculty members shall serve on the PhD Affairs Council for a term of two years.
- Each member may be re-elected for an additional two year term.
- Following these two terms, the member must allow one year to pass before serving any additional terms.
- The Director of the PhD Program will serve as chair.
- A staff assistant will facilitate the work of the committee as appropriate.
- Meet monthly during the academic year and as called by the Chairperson.
- Student member will be excused when confidential student items are discussed.