CON Principles for Office Assignments
From University of Nebraska Medical Center
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Principles for Office Assignments||Subsection: Appendix J|
|Section - Appendices||Originating Date: February 2011|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
The goal for office assignments is to maximize the quality of work life and the function of teams.
- Space utilization is governed by the general principle of maximizing the quality of work life for faculty and staff while also maximizing the function of teams and programs.
- Faculty and staff are assigned only one office.
- Private offices are assigned to those who are full time or nearly full time. Although exceptions can be made based on individual work needs, faculty and staff who are part time may be assigned a shared space.
- Graduate Assistants are assigned to shared space. For individuals that are in more than one role (GA, doctoral student, part-time faculty), decision is based on available space and individual goals.
- Function (e.g. team, programs) is prioritized over division membership in creating work groups and neighborhoods.
- Larger offices are for faculty according to these general criteria:
- Full time
- 12 month appointment over 9 month appointment
- Seniority in rank/title
- Productivity (e.g., funded grants/contracts)
- Temporary office space may be assigned to Emeriti faculty on an as needed basis if space is available.
- The Dean’s Office staff make office assignments in the Omaha Division. Consultation is sought from relevant directors or assistant/associate deans for best decision making. The same is true on all divisions, where the campus assistant dean is responsible for making office assignments, and relevant others are consulted.