CON Undergraduate Grade of Incomplete Policy
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Undergraduate Grade of Incomplete Policy||Subsection: 5.1.9|
|Section 5.0 - Student Policies||Originating Date: June 1981|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Undergraduate Admission, Progression, Graduation and Scholarship/Grant Committee
|Revised: August 1998
Revised: March 2009
Reviewed: October 2012
Revised: January 2014
Revised: March 2018
A student may receive an Incomplete ("I") for a nursing course. The grade "I" is used by the course coordinator at the end of a semester/session to designate incomplete work in a course. This grade is given in one of two circumstances:
- When a student, due to illness, military service, hardship, or death in the immediate family, is unable to complete the course requirements in the term of initial registration. (In this case, an "I" is only given if the student has substantially completed the major requirements of the course or at the discretion of the course coordinator).
- When a student has failed to complete the prerequisite course and is not allowed to progress to a subsequent course in the same semester.
Procedure for circumstance 1 above
- The student must contact the course coordinator prior to the end of the semester/session and request a grade of “I”, and at that time arrangements must be made among the Student Services representative, Division Assistant Dean, and course coordinator as to how and when the work will be completed.
- The course coordinator will prepare a document providing the following information:
- Proportion of work completed and the grade for this work.
- Specific conditions to be met in order to complete the course.
- Date when course work is to be completed. This date shall be no later than the end of the next regular semester/session in which the class is offered following receipt of the "I".
- This document is signed by the student, course coordinator, and Division Assistant Dean. One copy is retained by the student, one copy goes to the course coordinator, and one copy is placed in the student's permanent file.
- If the work is not completed during the specified time period, the grade will become an "F" or such other grade specified by the course coordinator. This alternate grade should be based on the amount and quality of the course work previously completed. Any extension to the one semester/session time frame must be approved by the course coordinator, or the Division Assistant Dean prior to the “I” being changed to a grade of F.
- The course coordinator giving the “I” will be responsible for notifying Student Services, supervising the makeup work and reporting the permanent grade. In the event the course coordinator is no longer with the University, the Division Assistant Dean or her/his designee will supervise the make-up work and report the permanent grade for the student.
- A student with a current grade of “I” will not be permitted to enroll in subsequent nursing courses which hold this course as a prerequisite, until that “I” has been completed and removed.
Procedure for circumstance 2 above
- The course coordinator will automatically enter a grade of “I” for any students not allowed to progress to subsequent courses.