CON Undergraduate Grade of Incomplete

From University of Nebraska Medical Center
Revision as of 11:12, February 7, 2014 by Jbarrier (talk | contribs) (Created page with "<table style="background:#F8FCFF; text-align:center" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tr> <td style="padding:0.5em; background-color:#e5e5e5; font-siz...")
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Home   Student Policies                    

Undergraduate Grade of Incomplete Policy Subsection: 5.1.9
Section 5.0 - Students Originating Date: June, 1981
Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Undergraduate Admission, Progression, Graduation & Scholarship/Grant Committee
Revised: August, 1998
Revised: March, 2009
Reviewed: October, 2012
J:/RESOURCE MANUAL/Table of Contents College of Nursing Resource Manual


A student may receive an Incomplete ("I") for a nursing course. The grade "I" is used by an instructor at the end of a semester/session to designate incomplete work in a course. This grade is given when a student, due to illness, military service, hardship, or death in the immediate family, is unable to complete the course requirements in the term of initial registration. An "I" is only given if the student has substantially completed the major requirements of the course.


  1. The student must contact the instructor prior to the end of the semester/session and request a grade of “I”, and at that time arrangements must be made as to how and when the work will be completed.
  2. The instructor will prepare a document giving the following information:
    1. Proportion of work completed and the grade for this work.
    2. Specific conditions to be met in order to complete the course.
    3. Date when course work is to be completed. This date shall be no later than the end of the next regular semester/session following receipt of the "I".
    4. This document is signed by the student, instructor, and Department Chairperson or Division Assistant Dean. One copy is retained by the student, one copy goes to the instructor, and one copy is placed in the student's permanent file.
  3. If the work is not completed during the specified time period, the grade will become an "F" or such other grade specified by the instructor. This alternate grade should be based on the amount and quality of the course work previously completed. Any extension to the one semester/session time frame must be approved by the Instructor, the Division Assistant Dean or Department Chair person prior to the “I” being changed to a grade of F.
  4. The Instructor giving the “I” will be responsible for notifying Student Services, supervising the makeup work and reporting the permanent grade. In the event the Instructor is no longer with the University, the Department Chairperson or Division Assistant Dean or her/his designee will supervise the make-up work and report the permanent grade for the student.
  5. A student with a current grade of “I” will not be permitted to enroll in subsequent nursing courses which hold this course as a pre-requisite, until that “I” has been completed and removed.