CON Travel Authorization and Reimbursement
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Travel Authorization & Reimbursement
|Section 4.0 - Information
|Originating Date: May, 1974
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
I. UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER (UNMC) POLICIES & PROCEDURES
All travel will comply with the policies, procedures and guidelines established by the Nebraska Department of Administrative Services and the University of Nebraska Medical Center, (http://info.unmc.edu/) in addition to the policies and procedures of the College of Nursing. All travel approval and reimbursement is contingent on alignment with College priorities and availability of travel funds.
II. APPROVAL REQUIRED PRIOR TO TRAVEL
- All travel for University business, including no-cost travel, requires approval as outlined below.
- Supervisors with budget authority review and approve all travel requests within the unit.
- The Director of Administration and Operations reviews and approves all travel requests of the Dean, the Dean’s direct reports and those traveling at the request of the Dean.
- The Dean reviews and approves all travel requests of the Director of Administration and Operations.
- The Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance reviews and approves all travel requests of the Dean.
Individuals anticipating foreign travel (including Canada and Mexico), whether or not involving University funds, must obtain approval from the Dean and the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance prior to making travel arrangements.
III. TRAVEL FOR SCHOLARSHIP
Faculty members are encouraged to present scholarly work. The presenting author will receive priority for support. When additional authors attend the same meeting, less or no support may be provided for their travel. The first presentation of a paper will receive priority over subsequent presentations of that paper. Consideration will be given to the number of trips supported for an individual.
- Priority for approval of travel requests will be given to the following types of requests:
- Presentations of scholarly papers.
- Meetings of regional, national or international organizations of which the college is a member and should be represented for voting and information purposes, e.g., American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Midwest Nursing Research Society, etc.
- Travel to receive a regional, national or international award or recognition.
- Meetings of regional, national or international organizations of which the individual is a member and can network to recruit faculty or students and otherwise increase visibility of the college.
- Workshops and conferences for faculty and staff development and/or to promote the CON strategic plan, e.g., teaching, practice and research at the college.
Reimbursement in general does not cover the full costs associated with travel and is based on funding available and the priorities listed above. Reimbursement from accounts other than state-aided (e.g. grants, faculty development accounts, etc.) may be at 100% if appropriate. All conference registrations must be approved prior to completing the registration form, if a UNMC P-Card is used for payment.
IV. TRAVEL FOR OFFICIAL COLLEGE BUSINESS
Travel is sometimes required in order to conduct the business of the College. Guidelines are established to provide faculty and staff with reimbursement for authorized, legitimate travel required while supervising clinical experiences in clinical agencies, attending required meetings, or otherwise conducting official College business.
V. RECORD MAINTENANCE
All departments will be responsible for maintaining the appropriate documentation for audit purposes.