CON Director, CON Learning Resource Center
|Administration & Organization
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Director, CON Learning Resource Center
|Section 3.0 - Position Descriptions
|Originating Date: September 2009
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
General Position Description
The Director of the LRC is the administrative officer responsible for all Learning Resource Center activities within the College. The LRC Director provides vision and strategic leadership for a variety of learning resources in the CON, UNMC, and regionally. In collaboration with other academic leaders within the College, s/he ensures that the standards and policies of the College, the University, the State Board of Nursing, and other accrediting bodies are met and that the activities of the LRC achieve the highest standards for undergraduate and graduate nursing education outlined by the national bodies in nursing education. S/he is responsible for facilitating the planning, implementation, evaluation, and continuous improvement of the activities within the LRC within all divisions of the College.
The Director of the LRC reports to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs. The Director collaborates with Division Assistant Deans, Undergraduate and Graduate Directors and Coordinators, and all faculty to coordinate course activities utilizing the LRC, as well as program improvement for those activities. In collaboration with the Division Assistant Deans, she provides leadership and management to the LRC staff within all Divisions of the College. S/he works closely with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and other Program Directors to facilitate efficient and coordinated planning and use of resources.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Participates with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, other administrators, and faculty in strategic planning for Center activities within undergraduate and graduate nursing education.
- Working collaboratively with leaders and curriculum committees within the CON, develops a vision for LRC activities that incorporates current and emerging technologies to augment and enhance undergraduate and graduate nursing education that reflects needs of the state and national trends and informs areas of focus and pedagogy in delivering nursing education.
- Ensures that vision is part of the CON strategic plan, and initiates activities to achieve the goals set out in the strategic plan relative to learning technologies.
- Leads the Clinical Nurse Coordinators and other LRC personnel across the five Divisions of the College to ensure quality and consistency.
- Coordinates and assists, in collaboration with appropriate others, especially iEXCEL, the planning and executing of CON and interprofessional simulation activities to support nursing and UNMC interprofessional education across all Divisions.
- Leads, and participates in the annual assessment of learning technology and simulation equipment needs across all divisions, and strategizes a prioritized list of equipment needs and desires.
- Coordinates and delegates as appropriate, installation, maintenance and ongoing assessment of technology that supports the activities and stewardship of the LRC.
- Promotes and contributes to scholarship efforts within the CON related to e-learning, simulation and related technologies.
- Manages and evaluates LRC personnel in own Division (including Graduate Assistants), and collaborates with Assistant Deans to evaluate LRC personnel in the other Divisions.
- Coordinates, and delegates as appropriate, internal and external requests for use of equipment, and other resources within the LRC. Collaborates with CON leaders to ensure procedures and processes are in place for meeting those requests.
- Collaborates with the Director of Evaluation to collect and analyze data to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the LRC activities, and contributes to annual and other reports to accrediting bodies.
- Working collaboratively with CON academic leaders, coordinates, and delegates as appropriate, faculty and staff development activities to accommodate emerging technologies and curricular pursuits.
- Facilitates and ensures standardization of simulation processes and procedures across all Divisions that meet or exceed INACSL standards.
- Manages stewardship of resources through implementation of inventory control in all Divisions, and provide data for annual review and request for student fees.
- Leads the College towards accreditation of the simulation centers
- A bachelor’s and master’s degree in nursing and an earned doctorate in nursing or a related field, to meet faculty appointment standards.
- Active (or eligible for) Nebraska RN license.
- Evidence of academic scholarship
- Eligible for graduate faculty status as outlined by UNMC.
- Have or be working towards Certified Healthcare Simulator Educator (CHSE)
- Experience with educational and simulation technology, e.g., sim capture systems, simulators, monitoring equipment.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, managerial skills, creativity, ability to make timely decisions, effective collaboration skills, and the ability to be open to the ideas of others and to constructive feedback