CON Transfer of Graduate Courses
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Transfer of Professional Graduate Courses||Subsection: 5.3.9|
|Section 5.0 - Student Policies||Originating Date: November 2010|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee;
Associate Dean for Academic Programs
- Courses that are routinely accepted from other institutions of higher education, i.e. statistics, will be maintained on a list of approved courses that is reviewed every 5 years.
- Students applying for transfer courses must use the following procedure in order to assure acceptance of the course within the professional graduate nursing program of study.
- Students will consult with their advisors or specialty coordinator/program director about requesting a transfer of a course.
- If the advisor or specialty coordinator/program director supports the transfer request, the student submits to their advisor a written request for approval for the course. The request includes the name and number of course, description and the syllabus for the course they want to transfer. The name and number of the similar existing College of Nursing course that is the subject of the transfer course is identified.
- The advisor or specialty coordinator/program director sends a request for review to the College of Nursing course coordinator for the existing course to determine if the transfer course is similar. Faculty review the requested transfer course and determine if the courses are at least 80% similar for course description, objectives and content. The course coordinator sends the advisor a statement regarding similarity of the transfer course.
- The advisor will send a recommendation to the chair of the Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee (PGNAC) with supporting documentation and a brief note on the comparability of the course work. If transfer is recommended, the PGNAC members will review and vote via consent agenda. Following PGNAC approval, the advisor, Student Service offddice and the student are notified.
- Student Services office will add the approved course to the CON list of approved transfer courses with the date of approval.
- All courses presented for transfer must meet the Graduate College policy that all coursework for the professional graduate degree be completed within 5 years prior to graduation.
- Student Services office will create a timeline to review the transfer courses every year . This includes checking the institutions for accreditation status and the existence of the course.