CON Associate Dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing
|Home||Administration & Organization||Position Descriptions|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Associate Dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing Position Description||Subsection: 3.2.6|
|Section 3.0 - Position Descriptions||Originating Date: January 2017|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
General Position Description:
The Associate Dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing is responsible to the Dean for facilitating practice, research and educational partnerships between the College of Nursing and Nebraska Medicine consistent with the goals and missions of the two entities and the overreaching goals of the UNMC/Nebraska Medicine. The Associate Dean provides strategic leadership with promoting and sustaining integration between the UNMC College of Nursing and Nebraska Medicine, as well as maintaining and supporting existing relationships in the areas of undergraduate and graduate education. This individual serves as the Nebraska Medicine Chief Nursing Officer or similar role. The Associate Dean provides a contemporary perspective of the current and future health care environment and input into strategic thinking about development of nursing science, nursing education, and clinical practice, and building a nursing workforce for the future. This perspective, in collaboration with the other Associate Deans and Faculty, assists in providing a strong reality base in the evaluation of existing programs that involve students, faculty, research and curriculum. The Associate Dean participates in the trifold faculty roles of teaching, research and service/practice.
The Associate Dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing collaborates with the Dean, the College’s other leaders, faculty, and inter-professional colleagues in accomplishing the College’s goals related to integration of practice with education and research. S/he reports to the Dean and serves at the Dean’s request. The Associate Dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing collaborates with other members of the Executive Council, and as appropriate with curriculum, research, and practice committees in the College of Nursing. S/he also works closely with the Vice President for Education at Nebraska Medicine in relation to strategic opportunities for nursing student clinical placements.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Provides strategic leadership for development, implementation and evaluation, and long term sustainability of full integration of academic nursing with the clinical practice environment at Nebraska Medicine;
- Collaborates with College of Nursing academic leaders and faculty in addressing nursing science needs to improve nursing practice;
- Advocates for nursing workforce concerns within Nebraska Medicine and beyond with a vision for the nursing workforce of the future;
- Participates directly or indirectly in facilitating guest lectures and precepting for students at UNMC College of Nursing as appropriate;
- Participates in, and leads when appropriate, submission of grant proposals to support innovative collaborative projects with UNMC College of Nursing; and,
- Work with College of Nursing faculty to facilitate clinical placements and development of novel clinical care delivery models.
- Advocates for the College of Nursing within Nebraska Medicine in her role as Chief Nursing Officer.
- A graduate degree in nursing and an earned doctorate;
- Current appointment as Nebraska Medicine Chief Nursing Officer;
- Expertise in nursing and health administration;
- A record of scholarly activity;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including a participatory leadership style, ability to think creatively and take appropriate risks, and a penchant for innovation;
- Qualification commensurate with appointment as Courtesy Associate or Full Professor; and,
- Registered to practice nursing in Nebraska.