CON Associate Dean for Research
|Home||Administration & Organization|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Associate Dean for Research Position Description||Subsection: 3.2.4|
|Section 3.0 - Position Descriptions||Originating Date: September 1986|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
General Position Description:
The Associate Dean for Research is the senior research leadership position in the College of Nursing and represents the College on the Medical Center Campus and within the University in matters pertaining to research. The Associate Dean for Research is responsible directly to the Dean of the College of Nursing. General areas of responsibility include: research development, administration of the Niedfelt Nursing Research Center (NNRC), public and professional relations with respect to research, and teaching as assigned. S/he participates in the tripartite faculty role of teaching, research and service.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Provides vision and leadership for the research mission of the College.
- Serve as facilitator of research development for faculty of the College of Nursing.
- Works collaboratively with Division Deans in this process.
- Provides consultation, information, and assistance to individual faculty in all stages of the research process from idea generation to implementation of the project to writing the final report.
- Implements and assists others (e.g., research investigators and research committees) in implementation and evaluation of formal offerings designed for faculty research development.
- Serves as a role model in this position.
- Expected to maintain a research program which has funding and results in scholarly publications and national presentations.
- Recommends budgets and other resources for meeting the research mission of the College.
- Provides input as appropriate to Division Assistant Deans and Associate Deans on faculty evaluations.
- Represents the Dean at designated meetings and, as needed, at regional, national, and international professional associations.
Administrator of Research Center:
The Associate Dean for Research is responsible for the general administration of the NNRC, which includes managing the budget and coordinating and setting priorities for the work of all staff. S/he has responsibility for recruiting, retaining and evaluating NNRC staff. In addition, the Associate Dean for Research seeks new and more efficient ways to facilitate faculty research productivity e.g., scheduling research grant application reviews; providing information to faculty about opportunities for funding. As delegated by the Dean, s/he is responsible for review of grants and approval of budgets of research grant proposals submitted for external funding. S/he is responsible for approval of budgets for all other non-research proposals (e.g., training grants) submitted for external funding. S/he, in coordination with the Director of Administration & Operations, facilitates research space assignment. S/he is responsible for expansion of infrastructure to support research efforts, data management and analytic processing.
Public and Professional Relations:
The Associate Dean for Research represents the College’s research to the community, state and nation through participating in nursing research organizations and other groups related to nursing research. S/he also communicates research activities within the College and the Medical Center through various media as appropriate.
- Doctorally prepared researcher with documented skill in research, including research projects that have received major funding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to guide others in their research, and have scholarly publications in refereed research journals.
- Demonstrates professional leadership activity in professional organizations and must meet guidelines for Graduate Faculty status.
- Academic rank is dependent upon qualifications. Terms of employment are in keeping with University of Nebraska policy.
- Qualifications commensurate with appointment as Associate or Full Professor
The Associate Dean for Research collaborates with the Dean, the College’s other leaders, faculty, and inter-professional colleagues in accomplishing the College’s research mission and moving the College toward its strategic and long range goals. S/he reports to the Dean and serves at the Dean’s request. S/he is the College’s liaison with the UNMC Vice Chancellor for Research, and serves on University research committees and in inter-professional research and academic initiatives.
The Associate Dean for Research collaborates with other members of the Executive Council and s/he works closely with the Nursing Research Committee and PhD Affairs Council. S/he works closely with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, the Associate Dean for Transformational Practice and Partnerships, and the Director of Administration & Operations to creatively design, implement, and evaluate programs that integrate and support the College’s tripartite missions.