|Home||Administration & Organization||Position Descriptions|
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Dean Position Description||Subsection: 3.2.1|
|Section 3.0 - Position Descriptions||Originating Date: June 1970|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
General Position Description
The Dean of the College of Nursing is responsible for leading the College’s overall vision and generating innovation in nursing education, research, clinical care, and creating a healthy future for all communities. She or he leads a dynamic, inclusive, and supportive culture within the College to accomplish the mission and vision. The dean leads the recruitment and development of diverse and outstanding faculty and staff; ensuring positive educational outcomes for students; and expansion of research and clinical programs. The dean is responsible for ensuring the ongoing development and implementation of sound fiscal policy, procedures, and control systems to assure positive financial performance of the College, and access to resources necessary for accomplishment of the College’s mission.
As the administrative officer and academic leader of the College of Nursing, the dean is directly responsible to the Chancellor of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The terms of the appointment are in keeping with current University of Nebraska policy. She or he is expected to be an active contributing member of the Chancellor’s Council and other university, college, and professional communities as a senior leader. The dean collaborates with other deans, vice chancellors, and senior leaders in strategic planning and implementation of campus priorities. The dean works directly with the College’s associate and assistant deans, and leads the College Executive Council, and is an ex-officio member of all committees within the College of Nursing.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Provides a compelling vision and inspires achievement of the College of Nursing mission, vision, and goals.
- Promotes a culture of scholarship, inclusiveness and equity, and excellence.
- Recruits, retains, develops and mentors College of Nursing leaders and leads faculty recruitment and development to ensure continuously building a vibrant, talented, and engaged faculty.
- Maintains accountability for the quality and innovativeness of the College’s educational programs and invests in College leaders, faculty, staff, and students to ensure they have the resources necessary to offer premier educational programs.
- Mentors College leaders to guide scholarly, funded research, and collaborative working relationships among faculty throughout UNMC and the NU system, as well as external partners.
- Assures that adequate research facilities and core staff are available to support research programs within the College of Nursing.
- Contributes to scholarship through books, manuscripts, and/or abstracts in recognized peer-reviewed publications and encourages and mentors College leaders and faculty to do the same.
- Maintains relationships with NIH, HRSA, and other external funders to further the research and scholarly goals of the College.
- Cultivates relationships with related organizations including community providers to further the development of programs of excellence in nursing education, research, and clinical practice.
- Plays a leadership role at national, state, and local levels to advocate for the College of Nursing and for nursing education, research, and practice more broadly.
- Builds productive relationships with donors, government leaders, community leaders, schools of nursing within Nebraska and the Big Ten Academic Alliance, and related external stakeholders.
- A graduate degree in nursing and an earned doctorate in nursing or a related field.
- A distinguished record of scholarship.
- Broad professional experience with demonstrated skill in academic nursing administration, teaching, research, and professional service.
- Experience in undergraduate and graduate nursing education.
- A record of leadership in professional organizations, preferably including membership on external boards.
- Eligible for appointment as graduate faculty within the University of Nebraska Graduate College.
- Qualifications commensurate with appointment as Full Professor.
- Registered to practice nursing in Nebraska.