CON Professional Graduate Student Classifications
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Professional Graduate Student Classifications||Subsection: 5.3.2|
|Section 5.0 - Student Policies||Originating Date: May 1982|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee
Professional Graduate nursing students, those admitted to the MSN, post-MSN certificate, or DNP programs in nursing, are classified for admission and progression as follows:
- Full Admission Status:
Full Admission Status is given to students who have met the requirements for admission and who have been accepted by the Professional Graduate Nursing Program for work leading to a master's or doctoral (DNP) degree in nursing.
- Provisional Admission Status:
Provisional admission status may be given when students show potential for graduate work and have excellent letters of support but have attained below a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate studies and/or have not yet passed the NCLEX-RN exam. In cases of low GPA, verification for potential for graduate studies requires a “B” for a designated number of courses or hours of graduate work. In cases in which an applicant has not yet passed the NCLEX-RN exam, admission is provisional until the applicant produces evidence of passing the exam.
- Non-Degree Admission Status:
Non-Degree Status is given to individuals who have met the minimum requirements for admission (completed Non-Degree application and provided official transcripts). These students would need to get permission from the course coordinator to enroll in any College of Nursing course.
- Probationary Status:
Probationary Status may be given after admission when a student has a GPA below 3.0 and requires successful completion of designated course work to continue in their program of study (Refer to policy 5.3.11).
The following guidelines are used to evaluate recommending progression to full admission status.
- Non-Degree to full status - completed application for full admission meeting criteria outlined in Policy 5.3.3 and acceptance into a nursing program of study.
- Provisionary to full status - successful completion of deficiencies assigned by the Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee as a condition of provisionary status.
- Probationary to full status - successful completion of course work assigned by the Professional Graduate Nursing Affairs Committee as a condition of probationary status.