CON Proposal of New Undergraduate Courses
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Proposal of New Undergraduate Courses||Subsection: 4.3.2|
|Section 4.0 - Faculty Policies||Originating Date: November 1992|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
5.1.8 Student Ratings of Instruction
Appendix H New Undergraduate Course Proposal
The purpose of this policy is to provide faculty and the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee consistent guidelines in course development.
Applies to all courses at the undergraudate level.
- Nursing courses, including electives, must be consistent with the philosophy, organizing framework, and BSN outcomes of the undergraduate program.
- Nursing courses may be planned/offered for students in any semester; prerequisites and/or co-requisites must be specified.
- Credit hours may be distributed as didactic only, lab only, clinical only, or any combination of the above. Credit hour allocation for electives may range from 1-4 and may be distributed as didactic or didactic/clinical.
- The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee must approve all new courses.
- Courses must be approved by the General Faculty Organization (GFO) according to the following time line:
Course Implementation Approval Deadline Fall April Spring October Summer February
- If this is a prelicensure course or elective course, it must go through the Nebraska Board of Nursing for approval.
- Faculty members wishing to develop courses should consult first with their assistant dean regarding appropriateness and workload considerations. The following factors are considered in planning/offering nursing electives:
- student interest
- faculty interest, expertise, availability
- agency, preceptor availability
- classroom, laboratory availability
- minimum & maximum enrollments will be established based on factors a through e above.
- Faculty members then meet with the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee to present ideas for course development. If needed, a member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will be appointed to assist the faculty in course development.
- Course proposals are to be prepared using the form provided in Appendix H New Undergraudate Course Proposal.
- The course proposal should be submitted to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UGCC) for approval. A member of the course proposal group should be present at the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee meeting when the course is approved. Chair of the UGCC and a member of the course proposal group will present the new course at the General Faculty Organization meeting for approval.
- After each new course has been taught, an evaluation must be submitted following the guidelines in Policy 5.1.8. Student Ratings of Instruction.