Jump to: navigation, search

Waste Handling

15 bytes added, 13:53, May 21, 2019
no edit summary
====Surplus Material====
'''Surplus''' is any item that you or your department no longer needs. Common surplus equipment includes:
# *Computers# *Printers and cartridges# *Electronic Equipment# *Furniture# *Chairs# *Appliances# *Equipment
These materials may be reused within the organization, sold or properly disposed of. Disposition of all surplus equipment shall be the responsibility of the Manager of General Supply/Furniture Stores (402-559-5899) and must be coordinated with the appropriate director or department head. Surplus equipment valued over $5,000 and entered in the UNMC Fixed Asset Inventory System must be handled in accordance with UNMC Policy No. 3000, [[General Accounting]].
Biohazardous waste is disposed of through a licensed biohazardous waste contractor. Final disposal of biohazardous waste is in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations and applies a process which renders the biohazardous waste non-infectious. For further questions, please contact EHS.
====Chemical Waste====
Chemical waste is any chemical or chemical material that is used or no longer needed and destined for disposal. Chemicals and chemical materials are disposed of in accordance with the EPA regulations. UNMC is also required by EPA to have a [ Waste Minimization Plan] for hazardous waste. Use the [ Chemical Disposal Fact Sheet] for guidance on disposing chemicals. For information on some specific chemical waste streams, please see the [ Hazardous Material Fact Sheets]. Nebraska Public Service Laboratory waste will be handled per internal guidelines and chain-of-custody requirements. For additional information on chemical disposal, please contact EHS at (402-559-6356).
=====Liquid Chemical Waste=====
Certain non-hazardous liquid chemicals can be disposed to the sanitary sewer. Please see the Hazardous Material Fact Sheet [ Sanitary Sewer Disposal] for a list of these chemicals. All other liquid chemicals and chemical waste must be tagged and given to EHS for proper disposal.
=====Solid Chemical Waste=====
Solid chemicals and chemical waste must be tagged and given to EHS for proper disposal. Chemical waste cannot be disposed of in the trash.
=====Empty Chemical Containers=====
Empty containers must be properly handled to ensure the safety of laboratory and EVS staff. Please see the Hazardous Materials Fact Sheet [ Empty Chemical Container Disposal].
=====Universal Waste=====
Universal wastes are any of the following hazardous wastes subject to the State of Nebraska universal waste requirements.
#*Batteries - Nickel-cadmium (rechargeable), button (calculator, watch) or lithium batteries#*Mercury containing lamps - light-emitting bulbs containing mercury, including fluorescent, high-pressure sodium, mercury vapor and metal halide lamps#*Mercury containing items (thermostats, switches, manometers, sphygmomanometers, etc.)#*Electronic items (circuit boards, computer monitors)#*Pesticides
Additional information can be found online in the Hazardous Material Fact Sheet, [ Universal Waste]. Questions concerning disposal of universal waste can be addressed by contacting EHS at (402-559-6356).
====Radioactive Waste====
Radioactive waste is any material with detectable radioactivity above background levels. These materials are handled in accordance with Radioactive Materials and Waste policies and procedures. Contact EHS/Radiation Safety at (402-559-6356) for disposal guidelines or see Section B-8 of the [ Radiation Safety Manual].
=====Mixed Waste =====
Mixed waste (radioactive, biohazardous, and/ or chemical) must be disposed of in accordance with the state regulations as outlined in the Hazardous Materials Fact Sheet, [ Mixed Waste Disposal].
====Construction Waste=========Asbestos =====
Asbestos must be disposed of in accordance with all applicable state, federal and local guidelines. Contact Facilities Management to arrange for disposal of items containing asbestos. A Construction Risk Assessment is required for asbestos removal in hospital areas.
=====Construction/Demolition Waste=====
Construction/demolition waste must be disposed of in accordance with State regulations. Facilities Management and Planning will manage the disposal of non-hazardous construction waste and will communicate all requirements to any contractors.
====General Waste====
General waste is anything which does not fit into other waste categories outlined within this plan. General waste is transported and disposed of via a contracted service using normal waste handling methods.
It is the responsibility of EVS to empty all trash and recycling receptacles as scheduled based on customers’ needs. Timing of trash removal is generally on a predetermined schedule but can be upon request, based on customer needs.

Navigation menu