|Human Resources||Safety/Security||Research Compliance||Compliance||Privacy/Information Security||Business Operations||Intellectual Property|
Safety | Deadly Weapon | Shipping Hazardous Materials | Latex Sensitivity | Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure | Waste Handling | Portable Space Heaters | Children in the Workplace | Pets in the Workplace | Tuberculosis Exposure | Food, Drinks and Cosmetic Use in Laboratory Areas | Medical Surveillance | Enterprise Threat Assessment Response Team | Management of Violent or Aggressive Patients/Visitors | Youth Safety | Tours | Small Appliance
Policy No.: 2016
Effective Date: 12/16/2014
Basis of Policy
The purpose of this policy is to assure safety by defining the proper use of small appliances and the areas/departments that will be allowed to use them.
- Toaster ovens, convection ovens, electric skillets, griddles, hot plates and charcoal grills are not to be used in areas outside the kitchens operated by food service.
- Certain small appliances (toasters, coffee makers/pots, microwave ovens) shall be allowed to be used in non-clinical and non-laboratory spaces as long as they are cleaned, maintained and used in a safe manner. Non-clinical and non-laboratory spaces include: break rooms, offices, conference rooms, waiting rooms, etc. In labs these areas must be separated by four walls and a door from the laboratory space. Activation of the fire alarm system as a result of misuse will result in immediate removal of the device.
- All small appliances must have the UL seal of approval.
- Small appliances will not be operated on the same counter as a sink unless they are plugged in to an outlet that is Ground Fault Circuit Interruption (GFCI) protected.
- Small appliances must be plugged directly into electrical outlets. The use of extension cords, circuit breaker bars and outlet expanders is not allowed in conjunction with these devices.
- All small appliances with the exception of microwaves will be unplugged when unattended.
- All appliances will be properly maintained, i.e., clean, no frayed cords, operating correctly, all moving parts are free from sticking.
- Microwaves will not be left unattended during operation.
To reduce the fire hazard and false alarms associated with toasters:
- Do not operate while unattended.
- Do not cook, warm, or toast rice cakes, fried foods, or non-bread items.
- Heat pastry-filled or frosted items on lightest setting (Pop-tarts/toaster pastries).
- Do not cover toaster or use near curtains, drapes, walls, or under cabinets.
- Never cover toaster or toast slots during operation.
- Remove loose crumbs by using the removable tray or unplugging and turning the toaster upside down and shaking.
- Do not force oversized items into the toaster that could jam the mechanism.
- Keep clear of combustible or flammable liquids and materials.
- Contact UNMC Safety.
This page maintained by dkp.